Reporting to the Engineering Manager, as a Mechanical Project Engineer, you will be actively involved in the engineering and project management of Plate Heat Exchanger (PHE) orders, with a particular focus on Fully Welded Heat Exchanger units for the Petrochemical, Gas/Oil, Power and Nuclear Generational industries.
The purpose of this role is twofold: it will be your mission to engineer Fully Welded Heat Exchanger units and manage projects for PHE orders. You will be responsible for the full project lifecycle--from inception through to completion. This will include providing approval and final drawings, stress calculations, documentation, procedures and serving as a customer and inspector liaison. You will take ownership of multiple projects at any given time, and a typical project will run from anywhere between four months to 15 months duration.
You’ll serve as a Technical advisor upfront as you help our Commercial team set-up quotation drawings, review specifications, and design and quote the customer on the correct equipment that we are capable of manufacturing. Once the order is received, you will be involved in the hands-on design work, as well as creating drawings and the bill of materials. After the customer has approved the drawings, you will help execute the order and supervise it through production to final assembly by liaising with the customers, inspectors and third party entities.
In terms of the project scope and breakdown, approximately 40 percent of your time upfront will be spent on detailed design, stress analysis, and drawings and the remainder will focus on project management activities such as advising on sources of materials, assisting with manufacturing scheduling, and seeing the project through to completion and shipment.
You also will play an active role in supporting and advising the Sales team on contract orders and associated specifications.
Your principal duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Review customer specifications for contract orders and provide project management for contract orders once they are received from the Commercial Team.
- Meet required project timelines (milestones and deadlines) to ensure customer expectations are met.
- Apply broad knowledge of technical principles, procedures and practices to define product concept, design layouts, bills of material, detail drawings and performance evaluation criteria including reliability. Ensure safety concepts are integrated into design.
- Provide pre-sales support to Applications or Sales with technical information, time & cost estimates, etc. to create accurate quotes on equipment.
- Monitor and regularly report to manager on schedule throughout project by reviewing design status, part procurement, assembly/debug status, etc.
- Conduct design reviews with manager (and customer as required) including technical design aspects, status, costs and potential progress impacts.
- Coordinate information flow to/from customer including drawings, specifications, project documentation, etc.
- Determine and enforce standardized specifications and procedures for all new contract orders.
- Measure all variances of new completed contract orders to original quotations. Identify differences and advise solutions.
- Support manufacturing and purchasing in the execution of order.
- Provide technical solutions and troubleshooting for internal and external customers.
- Participate in writing and/or create documentation packages for use by the customer and manufacturing.
- Liaise and schedule Customer, third party inspectors and contractors.
- Use computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering and design tasks.
- Promote open communications, continuously striving to improve working relations and trust between the
- Customers, Employees and the Company.
- Support safety and quality goals throughout the facility.
- Manage other duties and projects as assigned.
The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field.
- 2-4 years of design and project management experience in a technical environment.
- Proven 3D CAD experience. (Although we will consider candidates with strong drawing experience with any major program, we are transitioning to the Inventor® software platform and experience with this program will be an advantage.)
- Knowledge and experience with ASME Pressure Vessel Code.
- Previous Stress Analysis experience.
- The ability to:
- Read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals and documents.
- Respond to technical inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
- Develop strong technical knowledge of the product portfolio.
- Interact with different functional areas at all levels of the organization.
- Communicate effectively in both spoken and written English.
- A strong goal orientation with a drive for customer satisfaction.
- Developed interpersonal skills.
- Formal exposure to process improvement methodology.
- A Master’s degree.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
- Previous manufacturing experience.
- SAP experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with global pressure vessel codes such as PED, AS1200, etc.
Keys to SuccessAlthough your mechanical engineering skill will be essential to your success here, it also will be important that you are a strong communicator and liaison. This is a visible role where you can expect to interact extensively with our customers as well as a variety of external stakeholders and internal contacts throughout the organization. We’re looking for a professional who is a collaborative team player who can partner with everyone from personnel on the shop floor to executive-level customer contacts. Our best employees aren't afraid to "roll up their sleeves" and help out wherever they are needed.
Additionally, to truly excel in this role you’ll have the unique ability to gain buy-in and influence without authority. Our Engineering group is well-established, tenured (many have been with us for 15-20 years) and experienced--and you’ll be instrumental in driving excitement around our new products and bringing in new ways of thinking as you help support and encourage our culture of continuous improvement and the highest levels of quality.
Our ideal candidate for this position will encompass the following SPX Flow competencies:
- Building Customer Loyalty
- Continuous Improvement
- Continuous Learning
- Contributing to Team Success
- Initiating Action
- Managing Work
- Setting High Work Standards
Why SPX FlowGround-floor Opportunity
As we’ve mentioned before, we’re in the process of launching this product line and orders are now coming in the door. We’re adding this role as a dedicated resource to PHE orders so that we are in a position to satisfy those customer requirements. As the product continues to develop, you’ll be in a key position to help drive the product line and become a subject matter expert.
You'll also enjoy a best-of-both-worlds atmosphere--the smaller, entrepreneurial environment of a new startup initiative, alongside the strong foundation and resources of an industry leader.
Make it Your Own
With the new product line you will have the opportunity to leave your own mark. In fact, we're looking for an Engineer who will bring new, fresh ideas to the table.
In addition to a competitive base salary and bonus incentive program based on manufacturing targets, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, tuition reimbursement and more.
At SPX FLOW, what’s in it for employees goes well beyond market-competitive compensation and benefits. The company’s Total Rewards program includes a comprehensive offering that combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. Our Total Rewards Program gives employees:
- A financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization.
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
The first two to three months on the job will be spent getting up to speed very quickly on this new product line, our company philosophy and engineering procedures. You'll enjoy strong training from your supervisor, a Sr. Engineer who has deep tribal knowledge, and from the support team including Sales, Customer Service and Applications. From there, we will expect you to use your technical engineering skill and project management talent to hit the ground running. You bring the engineering skills and drive, and we will ensure you have all the training and support you need to thrive.
Career Development and Opportunity
Though you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, if you want to advance your career, opportunities could become available within this division or the larger SPX FLOW.
Pictured: Engineering excellence, allied to stringent quality control, ensures that SPX FLOW's unrivaled range of APV products complies with the highest international standards for hygiene.
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2014 was $2.5 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining. Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.
As part of the APV Division, you will work on our new fully-welded heat exchanger (pictured in "The Role" section).
APV, an SPX FLOW Brand, provides a unique range of highly functional solutions, systems and products that address key business drivers. SPX FLOW bases its APV solutions on advanced technology products including pumps, valves, homogenizers, mixers and heat exchangers, as well as production efficiency experience, development expertise, maintenance management and regulatory compliance.
Pictured: SPX FLOW has a proven track record across the industrial market providing a single source of expert knowledge for our customers' needs.