RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Materials Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Business Administration or equivalent; or a minimum of seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience (5+ years) as a planner; deep understanding of planning, materials control and inventory
- Team leadership experience, including working with cross-functional teams and management
- Understanding of freight terms; direct logistics experience is an advantage
- Experience in an engineered to order or similar environment, such as industrial manufacturing
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) with intermediate Excel skills (formulas, VLOOKUPS, pivot tables, ability to migrate between programs); ERP experience required, SAP preferred
- Outstanding interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills to influence, collaborate, negotiate; excellent customer service skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive to take full ownership of your responsibilities; dedication
- Excellent planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Strong analytical reasoning, problem-solving and decision making skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment that is fast paced and demanding
- Must be self-directed, have initiative and excellent organizational skills.
- Exhibit a strong ability to handle multiple demands with a sense of urgency, drive and energy.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Site Director, as Materials Manager, you will play a critical leadership role overseeing our Purchasing, Production and Customer Service departments. You will directly manage a team of ten including the Purchasing Manager, Planning Supervisor, Shipping Lead, a Buyer, two Planners, a Customer Service Representative and three Materials Handlers. This is a highly competent and tenured team including personnel with several years of experience up to 30+ years with the company. The team is located in McKean, where we focus heavily on our nuclear and power customers. The Customer Service Representative supports the Copes Vulcan product line in McKean and Houston. At times, customer service issues could be escalated to you.
In McKean, we do assembly, welding and inspection. We deliver products that are custom engineered and built to spec, outsourcing portions of the manufacturing process (e.g. casting, forging and machining). You'll rely on your expertise and judgment as you review orders, ensure timetables are accurate, liaise with shipping, work with suppliers etc. You'll act as the final gate to make sure nothing falls through the cracks by leveraging/improving policies and procedures and maintaining efficiency across functions. While you'll serve as the leader overseeing multiple areas, you won't need to take an autocratic approach to management. Instead, you'll live with an eye on the future (3, 4 or 6 months out) and collaborate with your team to ensure everyone is delivering as necessary to meet deadlines, goals and objectives.
Because we engineer valves and desuperheaters for the nuclear industry, we are highly proceduralized. You will serve as the conduit between internal departments and external suppliers, ensure that we are following procedures and meeting delivery dates. More specifically, in the following areas, you will:
- Manage, control, and direct the material planning, inventory control, storage, shipping and receiving functions.
- Through subordinate managers and supervisors, develop, implement, and maintain policies to ensure the timely flow of materials and the return of finished goods to distribution facilities within established time frames.
- Provide for the development and maintenance of inventory control systems to track the status of purchase orders, inventory levels and production requirements.
- Forecast plan for anticipated materials requirements.
- Review production schedules to ensure the availability of materials.
- Per contacts, coordinates with Purchasing, Production, and Engineering departments to ensure adequate supply and efficient movement of materials.
- Manage the Customer Service group for the Copes product line to ensure adequate and timely responses to our customers, arrange all international shipments, and all other tasks as assigned for the McKean, PA and Houston, TX locations.
- Provide training of departmental personnel.
- Deliver performance appraisals.
Your success in this role will depend primarily on two key elements:
- Your ability to look forward and meet demands without building too much inventory
- Your skill in effectively managing a seasoned team
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: Copes-Vulcan, a worldwide leader in innovative valve and steam conditioning engineering for severe and critical service applications in the power, nuclear, oil and gas, pulp and paper and petrochemical industries.
More Good ReasonsExcellent Compensation
In addition to a competitive base salary and bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin day one!
You'll enjoy the smaller entrepreneurial atmosphere and high visibility of Copes-Vulcan brand alongside the stability and resources of an established global leader with a reputation built over more than a century of innovation.
The nuclear business is interesting and there's a lot to learn. As noted previously, it is steeped in procedures which you'll learn and apply. You'll also be exposed to other industries, our full portfolio and a diverse team, meaning, regardless of your background, you're bound to add to your skillset.
At SPX FLOW, what’s in it for employees goes well beyond market-competitive compensation and benefits. The company’s Total Rewards program includes a comprehensive offering that combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. Our Total Rewards Program gives employees:
- A financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization.
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
McKean is a nice, rural community just 7 miles from Lake Eerie. The people are friendly, the scenery is lovely -- it's a great place to put down roots.
Pictured: Copes-Vulcan is a worldwide leader in innovative valve and steam conditioning engineering for severe and critical service applications in the power, nuclear, oil and gas, pulp and paper and petrochemical industries. The SD-Severe Duty valve is Copes-Vulcan’s premium severe duty and critical service control valve design for critical service.
About SPX FlowSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2017 was $1.95 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining. Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.