The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Application Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- 3 to 5 years of applicable field experience, representing vendors and calling on OEMs, preferably in automotive, marine, power sports or power equipment.
- Technical savvy and a basic understanding of pump technology, including electrical.
- Basic familiarity with CAD programs, with the ability to interpret engineering drawings and also perform simple drafting tasks.
- Fluency in English and strong written and verbal communication skills; bilingual skills in Spanish and/or Portuguese are a plus.
- The ability to:
- Effectively present/communicate technical information to others.
- Function in an international matrix environment.
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The southeastern coast of the US, from Florida to North Carolina
- The Great Lakes area, including Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota
The RoleReporting to the Senior Sales Manager, you will work with outside boat builders and marine OEMs, providing pump solutions for light commercial and recreational vessels up to 68'. Main objectives will include:
- Representing the voice of the customer throughout Johnson Pump.
- Specifying requirements, definition, execution and evaluation of design, analysis, development, testing and control of customer projects where the application of a current product or product development is involved.
- Helping drive revenue with key accounts
You also will drive more proactive outreach activities to deepen relationships with customers and promote new business. This may include the following, and we'll also welcome your ideas.
- Talking with engineers at customer organizations about potential new products.
- Visiting boat builders to support best practice in installation; you might even develop an installation excellence program to help boat builders save time and money as they integrate our products.
- Approaching prospective accounts to present the Johnson Pump value proposition and find out why they are working with a competitor.
- Support the development and rollout of OEM portfolio product plan for Johnson Pump Boat Builders and OEMs.
- Support resolution of engineering, quality, logistics, performance and any open issues between the Customer and Johnson Pump products.
- Support the engineering relationship with Johnson Pump Engineering in Sweden and the customer base in the Americas.
- Ensure that all customer requests (design engineering requests) are evaluated in a timely manner and that all responsible parties understand their role.
- Develop and maintain product BOM for customer configured and customer specific products.
- Support the Johnson Pump manufacturing engineer with proper assembly instructions and monitor assembly quality of specialized products.
- Ensure the continued use of Johnson Pump Products with the boat builders and marine OEMs by optimizing opportunities for additional development of products to displace competition or a new product giving our customer a competitive advantage.
- Support the release of parts for service of products used and developed for the channel.
- Stay abreast of new technology and competitive products and reports new products and product updates to Johnson Pump management.
What's in It for YouTactical and strategic impact
You will be the first dedicated Application Engineer for the Americas sales team, which means you should be able to make a difference in short order and then build on the momentum. You'll enjoy a good deal of leeway in creating your proactive outreach plans and achieving other goals.
In addition to deepening your pump expertise, you will gain strong insight into different customer companies. You grow your knowledge on both the technical and commercial side. Success in this role could set you up to pursue multiple career paths in our global organization.
The reputation of Johnson Pump is so strong that our sales reps do very little cold calling. Fifty years of R&D work, experience and partnership with major marine engine manufacturers have brought the Johnson Pump brand to a front-line position in cooling pumps worldwide.
In addition to a competitive base salary, performance-based bonus and other incentives, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin on day one.
At SPX FLOW, comp and benefits are just the beginning. Our comprehensive Total Rewards program combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. The program gives employees a financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization. This includes:
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will take a proactive approach to establishing yourself as a valued resource to both internal and external partners. The sales team sees the value in creating this new role, but the real proof will come through results. With customers you should develop a well-rounded understanding of their goals and challenges in order to maintain a solutions orientation. For example, if you develop an installation excellence program, you'll need to ensure that it's perceived as a value add and not an audit.
There will be a lot going on in this role, so you'll need to be able to manage multiple activities and projects. You'll need to set priorities and plan your time and travel to make the biggest impact. It should be clear by now that this role requires both the ability to work independently and to contribute as a team player.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Application Engineer, you will:
- Remain open to learning new ways of doing things.
- Manage a high number of details, but also grasp the big picture.
- Bring fresh new ideas to the table.
- Demonstrating sensitivity for cultural differences
- Combine analytical savvy with creativity in solving problems and developing solutions.
- Bring a strong sense of ownership and accountability, and set high standards for yourself.
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2016 was $1.9 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining.
Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.