The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Engineering Director opportunity, you will have:
- 10+ years of engineering experience including 5+ years in a leadership role managing multi-disciplined and multi-functional engineering teams.
- Significant experience in valve manufacturing such as API and nuclear valves (highly preferred) and severe service control valves including turbine bypass valves and desuperheaters (preferred). The ideal candidate will have a broad design philosophy earned through exposure to different markets and a variety of products.
- A bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent with an extensive background in Mechanical Engineering.
- Significant experience working in a multi-national organization with diverse engineering teams.
- Proven change management skills; experience driving a successful engineering reorganization or acquisition is highly preferred.
- An ongoing commitment to continuous improvement.
- Ability to produce professional engineering reports and presentations.Ability to travel 10%-20%, both domestically and internationally, to visit engineering design centers, teams and customers.
- Ability to think strategically and work globally.
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with different levels, titles and cultures.
- Ability to motivate, inspire, coach, mentor and guide.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Vice President, Engineering for Industrial & Energy, as Engineering Director, you will be responsible for managing and leading a global team of engineers and CAD designers to support the design and manufacture of steam turbine bypass valves, desuperheaters, steam conditioning valves, control valves, API-6D pipeline gate valves, and surge relief valves, built to serve the Oil & Gas, Power, and Nuclear industries.
Daily, you will manage a collective team of approximately three dozen engineers in four key locations. All are part of our Power & Energy Division. The teams are each focused on specific brands and valve products and will retain that focus. You will be tasked with creating the long-term vision for the teams as a combined unit in order to build a world-class valve engineering team. We expect there will be multiple steps to building a world-class team and you will design the roadmap to make your objective a reality. For example, you will identify gaps, ensure you have the right talent and that that talent is being developed, and create/improve processes and systems to marry the innovative ideas of cutting-edge product development with the technical requirements of product manufacturing and management.
Additionally, you will work directly with teams and end-users, networking and communicating as appropriate with various departments (Product Management, Sales, Project Management, Operations, etc.) and customers. Direct involvement with end users will be necessary to develop strong customer relationships.
As part of your specific tasks, you will:
- Manage the global SPX FLOW Valve Engineering teams located in Houston, TX; McKean, PA; Busan, Korea; and Winsford, UK.
- Drive engineering performance for valve original equipment, aftermarket, and new product development.
- Monitor key performance indicators and establish action plans to maintain or improve performance.
- Manage the timely and on budget execution of production order projects and product development.
- Foster innovation and adopt the latest in new technology and research when applicable.
- Manage root cause analysis of equipment failures and technical customer issues.
- Utilize capacity planning tools and business forecasts to identify and address current and anticipated gaps in engineering capacity for all projects. Coordinate with high-value center engineering resources as appropriate to augment engineering capacity.
- Improve working processes, procedures, and identify areas for standardization and automation.
- Coordinate with Commercial Operations to develop and maintain application and valve sizing tools.
- Collaborate with Global Manufacturing Operations in lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, and other initiatives.
- Build the capability of the engineering function:
- Set realistic, challenging and clear goals for oneself and team
- Drive high performance by celebrating successes and addressing underperformance promptly
- Optimize competence to match present and future needs through training, coaching, and recruitment of high caliber talent
- Leverage partnerships and build a network of relationships both internally and externally with business leaders and key customers.
More Good ReasonsHigh Impact / Low Bureaucracy
If you're used to an environment where you see little impact from your efforts and where you're stifled by processes and red tape, you're going to love SPX FLOW. You can really move the needle here as you evolve your team and make a strong impact that will be reflected from operations to our bottom line.
Shape your opportunity
Because this is a new opportunity, you will have the chance to define your role and build something that you can own and evolve. You're joining us at the perfect time. We've transitioned from a holding to an operating company, we're growing rapidly and things are running well. It's the ideal atmosphere to excel and create a real impact.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus potential, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin day one!
At SPX FLOW, what’s in it for employees goes well beyond market-competitive compensation and benefits. The company’s Total Rewards program includes a comprehensive offering that combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. Our Total Rewards Program gives employees:
- A financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization.
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessThis is a role for a true leader. Yes, you will need outstanding technical and client facing skills, but you will have to be adept at bringing people together, creating an atmosphere for collaboration, and remaining both focused and open-minded. We believe there is a great deal of untapped potential on the teams that can be leveraged by creating synergies between the teams and unifying them in purpose. Those synergies can help us realize new opportunities from best practices to product line growth to employee retention and more. Your ability to build relationships while also improving performance will be key to your success.
In addition, to be an outstanding Engineering Director, you will be:
- Approachable and supportive while also maintaining high-expectations, a sense of urgency and a commitment to meeting/exceeding deadlines.
- Communicative internally and externally. You should be able to explain complex technical issues to developing engineers, engineering teams or other stakeholders.
- An outstanding problem solver adept at leveraging collective and collaborative input to mitigate risk and arrive at solutions.
- Proactive and responsive with a positive attitude toward your work and the business.
- An excellent time manager who sets high standards for yourself and others.
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2016 was $1.9 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining. Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.