The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university (Engineering or Technical degree preferred), and a minimum of three - five years of related experience and/or training in a manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven track record of delivering results through Lean Transformation.
- Deep knowledge of the principles and techniques of Lean Manufacturing including but not limited to Value Stream Mapping, SMED, Standard Work, Kaizen leadership, one piece flow, Kan Ban Systems and 5S.
- Some supervisory / management experience.
- Experience with Value Stream Mapping (VSM).
- The ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- The ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to see bigger picture and envision step-change scenarios.
- Passion for driving business improvement and leading change in a large, complex, global environment.
- A collaborative and proactive approach.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, decision-making and conflict management skills.
- Ability to successfully communicate and develop positive relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of Manufacturing software; Project Management software; SAP; Visio; Spreadsheet software (Excel) and Word Processing software.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- The ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Strong advanced facilitation skills and the ability to understand and influence group dynamics.
- Knowledge of TPS will be helpful but is not required.
The RoleReporting directly to the Site Leader, as the Manufacturing Engineering / Continuous Improvement Manager, your mission will be to plan, develop and implement the Strategic Plan for Lean Manufacturing Processes throughout all manufacturing functions--from order entry through shipment of the product to the customer. You will help set up metrics (including Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and HR/Training) and boards that will be utilized to achieve goals, create solutions for constraints and pinpoint areas for improvement.
You will oversee a team of Manufacturing Engineers who will be building the jigs and working to decrease equipment turnover and downtime. This is a visible role and you can expect to partner across departments including Operations, Quality, Supply Chain and many more. It’s important to note that although this is a managerial role, we’re looking for a professional who is eager to roll up their sleeves and get out on the floor.
More specifically, your principle duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and continuously refine the annual Lean manufacturing implementation plan, based on approved strategic plan throughout all processes. Initiate and maintain an effective 5S program. Own this program as a foundation program for all lean improvement activities. Execute and facilitate the Value Stream Mapping process for all lean initiatives from Customer Service through shipping of product.
- Utilize Lean/Six Sigma methods (Flow, Pull, Standard Work, DOE, Error Proofing, Set-Up Reduction and TPM) to close business performance gaps. Assist Operations Management through measuring and monitoring productions activities, data analysis, trend identification and establishment of projects that drive continuous improvement. Identify best practices within and outside the company, and serve as a conduit for best-practice sharing and adoption across the site.
- Measure and document progress towards meeting objectives related to Lean processes and programs. Create and distribute timely status reports that update management regarding Lean initiatives and status using key metrics for lean deployment.
- Provide needed oversight and deploy training in the areas of Lean Enterprise Philosophy, tools, techniques and continuous improvement practices.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities and long-term improvement opportunities. Manage all assigned projects such that completion is accomplished on-time, within budget and with agreed to objectives of the project fully met.
- Participate in strategic and annual planning processes. Build strong and positive relationships with all areas of the company by working to include them in the improvement activities, making sure their needs and requirements are carefully considered.
- Propose, plan for and manage Kaizen events and Kan Ban opportunities as well as other improvement activities which are aimed at removing non-value added activities therefore reducing costs, improving delivery and building customer satisfaction.
- Challenge leaders to create an action-based culture of continuous improvement and accountability.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: SPX Flow Hydraulic Technologies offers a full range of equipment, tools and solutions for heavy industry. Our products play a key role on construction sites, in power plants, on rail lines, in shipyards, in mining operations and more.
Why SPX FLOWStrategic impact and ongoing innovation
Building on a foundation of strong processes, you will provide the leadership that will bring everything into alignment company-wide to drive even greater success in the Lean arena. You’ll own the strategic vision for continuous improvement and put your personal stamp on the organization by leading new initiatives for the function.
This initiative has great visibility to all levels and departments of the organization. You’ll enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing that the results of your efforts will be noticed by leadership and beyond.
As you learn the role and work closely with peers from other functions, you’ll also be gaining broad exposure, learning about front-to-back processes across the organization, and adding impressive accomplishments to your résumé.
The best of both worlds
With lots of positive change underway, you’ll enjoy strong entrepreneurial energy in this role. At the same time, we offer the stability and resources of an established global leader with a reputation built over more than a century of innovation.
In addition to a competitive base salary, performance-based bonus and other incentives, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin on day one.
At SPX FLOW, comp and benefits are just the beginning. Our comprehensive Total Rewards program combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. The program gives employees a financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization. This includes:
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the ability to multitask and use your Lean expertise to prioritize projects and key initiatives. It will be important that you can identify what needs to be tackled first and what can be shelved for a later date.
Additionally, we are looking for a strong leader who can build trust and rapport with the team and get their buy-in when making decisions. You’ll need to be an influencer and "strategizer" who can share ideas with large groups and help convey complex technical information in a way that is easy to understand.
Additionally, you should embody the following SPX Flow competencies:
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Aligning Performance for Success
- Building Customer Loyalty
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Continuous Improvement
- Contributing to Team Success
- Delegating Responsibility
- Facilitating Change
- Gaining Commitment
- Initiating Action
- Managing Work
- Maintaining High Work Standards
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2016 was $1.9 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining.
Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.