The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Applications Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- 2-5 years of experience working with customers on technical applications, ideally in the Industrial/Light Industrial, Food & Beverage and/or Power verticals
- Knowledge of installation, operation, maintenance and repair of industrial equipment
- Understanding of heat transfer / thermal heat transfer
- Solid PC skills, including experience using MS Word, Excel or equivalent; experience with costing, pricing and configuring software
- Ability to read blueprints
- A continuous improvement mindset
- Strong math skills, including the ability to:
- Apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations
- Apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; the ability to deliver information clearly and concisely
- Outstanding organization and multitasking skills; the ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities
- The ability to work individually and as a strong team member
- Strong analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel on occasion (5%-7%) primarily to visit channel partners
- To meet the basic qualification for this role, you must be legally authorized to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer of visa sponsorship
- SAP knowledge
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- CAD experience is a plus
- Bilingual English / Spanish is a plus
The RoleOverview Overview
Reporting to the Commercial Operations Manager, as Applications Engineer, you will apply your engineering knowledge and skills to review and evaluate technical specifications, size, cost, and equipment in order to generate competitive technical/commercial proposals for multiple heat plate exchangers. You will support Regional Sales Managers (RSMs) selling to agents who sell to end users. You will have opportunities to work with all the players, from the RSM to the end users, providing technical expertise and training.
You will join a team including four other Applications Engineers. All team members work across the various industries, including Industrial, Food & Beverage and Power & Energy, and with internal players from RSMs to the Engineering team, when specs are outside the norm, to Operations, including Planning and Scheduling. More specifically, you will:
- Review blueprints, plans, specifications and other customer documents to develop cost estimates and prepare comprehensive proposals for equipment to existing and potential clients.
- Prepare competitive sales quotations and proposals for products, including sale price and delivery.
- Work with current and prospective sales representatives and customers to establish needs, specifications and possible product modifications for future sales, primarily through telephone contact.
- Research, collect and report information on the ability and capacity of company products and competing products.
- Aid in the design and development of equipment and systems, and redesign of existing systems to fulfill the needs of customers.
- Inform customers of technological improvements and of the advantages of using the company's products.
- Propose changes in equipment or use of materials which would result in cost reduction or improvement in operations.
- Provide technical services to customers relating to the use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Apply engineering knowledge to solve problems with unusual circumstances.
- Modify or extend written guidelines to cover all situations and problems.
Pictured: SPX FLOW's portfolio of APV ParaFlow industrial heat exchangers is designed to match a wide range of needs, from very small flows to those up to 4500 m3/h. Unique ParaWeld and Paramine technologies expand the boundaries for gasketed plate heat exchangers.
More Good ReasonsGrowth environment
We are experiencing strong growth and transformation as we move towards being a Lean company. Growth equals opportunity, especially for passionate and motivated employees with the drive and runway to succeed.
The best of both worlds
With lots of positive change underway, you’ll enjoy strong entrepreneurial energy in this role. At the same time, we offer the stability and resources of an established global leader with a reputation built over more than a century of innovation.
In addition to a competitive base salary and bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin on day one.
At SPX FLOW, comp and benefits are just the beginning. Our comprehensive Total Rewards program combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. The program gives employees a financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization. This includes:
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the ability to learn quickly and multitask, effectively balancing a variety of projects and priorities. You will be partnering with other players and departments to provide an outstanding customer experience, so timeliness, accuracy and completeness of quotes will be paramount.
In addition, to be an outstanding Applications Engineer, you will:
- Lead without formal authority; getting things done and contributing to team success.
- Work independently but also as an effective team player
- Leverage your strong organizational and time management skills to be responsive and effective in your role
- Maintain high standards for yourself and others
- Hold yourself to high standards, demonstrating professionalism, integrity and accountability
- Effectively handle multiple demands with a sense of urgency, drive and energy
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2016 was $1.9 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining.
Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.