The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Manufacturing Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering or a related field from a four-year college or university
- 1-2+ years of related experience and/or training. We will consider new/recent graduates with internship or relevant project experience or professionals with a few years of experience in a manufacturing environment. Regardless of your background, you'll need a broad background in engineering with the drive and desire to learn, evolve your career and make an impact
- Lean knowledge/training and/or experience; a continuous improvement mindset
- Strong computer skills including expertise in Microsoft Office Suite including Access, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; ability to thoroughly learn new applications
- Project management ability
- General math skills
- To meet the basic qualification for this role, you must be legally authorized to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer of visa sponsorship.
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Lean Certification
- AutoCad, Inventor or similar software experience
- SAP experience
- ASME experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A team-player approach and the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization
- Self-motivation, initiative and the ability to achieve goals with minimal supervision
- Organization and prioritization skills with strong attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple activities and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical reasoning skills to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and execute action plans on those conclusions
- Integrity, discretion and strong judgment
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Director of Operations, as Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of manufacturing process improvements that include tooling, welding, machine fixtures, process flow, lead time reduction, lean process improvements and cost reduction.
Our Goldsboro facility has just under 100 employees supporting manufacturing operations including machining, pressing, welding, painting and assembly, and departments including Logistics, Quality, Production and more.
Performing Your Role
Working in partnership with our other manufacturing engineer, and eventually taking ownership of your own projects, you will support Quality and all SOPs for new and existing products to ensure top-tier products are produced in the most cost-effective manner with consideration to process. You will identify opportunities for improvements as well as resolve ergonomic and other safety risks in the production process, applying Lean tools as appropriate. Approximately 30% of your time will be spent on new and 70% on existing products and processes. As part of your specific responsibilities, you will:
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods utilizing Lean Manufacturing principles
- Analyze for the optimization of work force utilization, space requirements, workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency and ergonomics
- Confer with planning and design staff concerning product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods that result in quality products
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for the purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluate products according to specifications and quality standards
- Estimate production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions
- Interact with management, engineering, finance, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, cost standards, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Develop and implement lean techniques which eliminate waste in production processes
- Develop a business case for capital investment when needed
- Support SAP data master for bills of material and router accuracy
- Confer with maintenance to develop and facilitate production and facility equipment preventative maintenance program
- Apply statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential
- Support safety and quality goals throughout the facility
- Support the adherence to all safety rules and regulations, use proper tools and equipment and ensure that all operations are performed in a safe and efficient manner
- Complete all required safety training
- Perform other duties and projects as needed for the strategic realization for the facility
Pictured: SPX FLOW's portfolio of APV ParaFlow industrial heat exchangers is designed to match a wide range of needs, from very small flows to those up to 4500 m3/h. Unique ParaWeld and Paramine technologies expand the boundaries for gasketed plate heat exchangers.
Why SPX FlowImpact and a mission toward Lean
Building on a foundation of strong processes, you will help bring the plant into alignment with a company-wide initiative to drive even greater success in the Lean arena. You will bring a fresh eye to the plant, share your strong ideas, execute and help drive continuous improvement. Continuous improvement at our plant is young, meaning there will be ample opportunities to make an impact and shine.
This initiative has great visibility across the organization. You’ll enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing that the results of your successes and those of the team will be noticed in and outside the plant in Goldsboro.
As you learn the role and work closely with peers from other functions, you’ll also be gaining broad exposure, learning about front-to-back processes. Additionally, you'll be able to trade knowledge and resources with our other plant in North Carolina.
The best of both worlds
With lots of positive change underway, you’ll enjoy strong entrepreneurial energy in this role. At the same time, we offer the stability and resources of an established global leader with a reputation built over more than a century of innovation.
In addition to a competitive base salary and bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, paid time off, and more. Benefits begin on day one.
At SPX FLOW, comp and benefits are just the beginning. Our comprehensive Total Rewards program combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. The program gives employees a financial stake in their success and the ongoing success of the organization. This includes:
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the ability to learn quickly and multitask, effectively balancing a variety of projects and priorities. It will be important that you can identify what needs to be tackled first and what can be delayed so that you hit each and every deadline. Developing strong project management skills and the ability to carry short and long-term projects through to successful completion will be essential.
In addition, to be an outstanding Manufacturing Engineer, you will:
- Lead without formal authority; getting things done through others
- Work independently but also as an effective team player
- Leverage your strong organizational and time management skills to be responsive and effective in your role
- Hold yourself to high standards, demonstrating professionalism, integrity and accountability
- Effectively handle multiple demands with a sense of urgency, drive and energy
- Maintain a positive outlook and passion to help effectively drive change and continuous improvements
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2017 was $1.95 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining.
Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, information technology infrastructure improvement, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.