The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Product Development Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- At least 5 years product development and design experience in a manufacturing environment including experience with:
- High precision castings and machining
- Experience with fluid handling products is preferred; understanding of flow rate and nominal capacity
- Pump design experience is highly preferred
- Valve design experience is an advantage
- Experience with stainless steel products is strongly preferred, ideally in food & beverage
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to perform hand calculations and data manipulation, create spreadsheets, draw conclusions from data gathered in the lab and theory
- Strong computer skills including:
- CAD skills: SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, 2D CAD, 3D Modeling and Engineering Drawing Production or comparable programs
- FEA, CFD, or other simulation software
- MS Office Suite programs (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Proficient in GD&T, tolerance analysis and FMEA
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, Design for Assembly / Design for Manufacturing (DFA/DFM)
- Proficient in finite element analysis tools (ANSYS preferred) for structural, thermal and modal analysis of designs, CFD desired
- Laboratory skills including hands-on testing, writing lab requests and analyzing data
- Proven project management skills
- International experience is a plus
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the New Product Development Program Manager, as Product Development Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, validating, and bringing new products to market. Initially, you will typically work on small projects that enhance or expand recently introduced products. After you learn SPX Flow and the Waukesha Cherry-Burrel® brand and earn credibility on the projects you work on, you could take on additional brands or products, such as APV®, out of Europe, and valves or other positive dispersion equipment.
You will join a growing team of four Product Development Engineers and work on new product development or product enhancements daily. You will specify precise product functional requirements, then design, test and integrate components to produce final designs. You'll evaluate each design by its overall effectiveness, cost, reliability and safety. Additionally, you will design, develop, execute and evaluate fitness-for-use testing, product specifications and process validation plans, and create and review material part specifications and bills of materials.
Specifically, you will:
- Coordinate with the other members of the engineering team to expedite the design process and establish priorities.
- Collaborate with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers and product specialists to optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Design and develop new products utilizing advanced modeling tools and engineering principles
- Utilize CAD (Computer Aided Design) or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems to model new designs and produce detailed engineering drawings.
- Interface with Product Managers, Applications Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Purchasing, and other functions during all phases of product development.
- Apply engineering analysis to make data-driven design decisions.
- Develop and review design prototypes, perform tests, and finalize product design to facilitate production.
- Analyze new components, materials, and technologies to evaluate functionality for all new product development.
- Prepare comprehensive project plans with technical objectives and detailed cost estimates.
- Analyze product cost and prepare schedule plans for effective implementation of programs.
- Prepare and approve product design and test plans, review designs, and recommend adequate changes to the approved models before the actual rollout of new products.
- Approve prototypes of new designs, conduct performance analysis of prototypes, and ensure assembly of products follow the company’s quality parameters.
- Comply with Design Control and Stage-Gate processes while designing prototypes and products.
- Track progress of assigned projects to report to major stakeholders.
- Document records for all project proposal and associated activities.
- Perform other product development related duties as requested, directed or assigned.
Video: The next generation of mix-proof valve technology is the result of continued development from both APV™ and Waukesha Cherry-Burrell™ process technologies. Used for the reliable separation of dissimilar fluids, the D4 Series helps fulfill today’s customer demands for production flexibility, increased productivity, rapid return on investment (ROI), and improved product quality across the Food & Beverage, Dairy, Personal Care and Brewing process industries.
More Good ReasonsWide exposure & learning
You will be part of a collaborative team to stretch and advance your skills as you work on different products. You will take that knowledge forward and evolve your skills to take on the next challenge. You will constantly be learning and innovating, taking your skills to the next level, then the level beyond that. We can promise, you'll never be bored.
Across SPX Flow, we are proactive about helping our people grow. There will be plenty to learn in the pump line alone, including different applications and multiple brands such as Waukesha Cherry-Burrell and APV. We're looking for a professional with the bandwidth to master this position and be ready to grow with us. We offer advancement within Product Development Engineering and management beyond that, as well as other paths for strong engineers, such as sustaining or applications engineering.
The "best of both worlds"
The corporation has decades of success behind it and offers stability and resources. At the same time, we're pursuing a number of exciting initiatives to carry us into the future.
You'll find strong entrepreneurial spirit here, along with a work hard/play hard attitude. In addition to offering flexible work arrangements, we are proactive about recognizing and rewarding strong performance.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental choices with costs shared by the employee and SPX FLOW; an employee-paid vision plan; a retirement savings plan with company match; paid time off; and more. Benefits begin day one.
At SPX FLOW, what's in it for employees goes well beyond market-competitive compensation and benefits. Our Total Rewards program includes a comprehensive offering that combines a challenging work environment with opportunities for personal development, career growth and recognition. The program gives employees a financial stake in their own success and the ongoing success of the organization and includes:
- Opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and a job well done.
- A platform to spotlight personal talent and achieve exceptional results.
- A chance to display the values and leadership practices we, as a company, embrace.
Keys to SuccessThis is an ideal role for a professional who truly loves pure engineering and enjoys taking on a steady stream of design challenges. If you're coming from a large organization where you may be have been siloed, you'll enjoy the wide reach of this role.
The position involves plenty of individual responsibilities, but you'll also need the interpersonal skills to collaborate with others, including teammates, customers, sales, manufacturing and other stakeholders. Open and effective communication along with an honest and ethical approach will take you far.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Product Development Engineer, you will:
- Remain focused on priorities, but flexible and adaptable as priorities shift.
- Bring a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Be aware of timelines from the start to finish of all of your projects.
- Bring your strong ideas to the table and be open to change, but don't pursue change for change's sake.
- Keep a constant eye out for ways to improve processes and products.
- Take a proactive approach to continuous learning and professional development.
- Pay close attention to the details while also grasping the bigger picture.
- Hold yourself and others to high standards.
- Bring confidence and balance it with humility.
About UsSPX FLOW is a global supplier of highly specialized, engineered solutions with operations in over 35 countries and sales in over 150 countries around the world. Our innovative solutions play a critical role in helping meet the rising global demand in the end markets we serve. Our total revenue in 2017 was $1.95 billion, with approximately 30 percent from sales into emerging markets.
We serve the food and beverage, power and energy and industrial markets. Our product portfolio of pumps, valves, mixers, filters, air dryers, hydraulic tools, homogenizers, separators and heat exchangers, along with the related aftermarket parts and services, supports global industries, including food and beverage, oil and gas, power generation (including nuclear and conventional), chemical processing, compressed air and mining.
Our core strengths include product breadth, global capabilities and the ability to create custom-engineered solutions for diverse flow processes. Over the past several years, we have strategically expanded our scale, relevance to customers, and global capabilities in these markets. We believe there are attractive organic and acquisition opportunities to continue to expand our business.
We focus on a number of operating initiatives, including innovation and new product development, continuous improvement driven by lean methodologies, supply chain management, expansion in emerging markets, and organizational and talent development. These initiatives are designed to, among other things, capture synergies within our businesses to ultimately drive revenue, profit margin and cash flow growth. We believe our businesses are well-positioned for long-term growth based on our operating initiatives, the potential within the current markets served and the potential for expansion into additional markets.
Pictured: SPX FLOW innovates with customers to help feed and enhance the world by designing, delivering and servicing high-value solutions at the heart of growing and sustaining our diverse communities.